Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Revisions to the Route

Initially, our plan was to take the Northern Route to the East Coast and head south to Wilmington North Carolina to see my family after our visit to Pennsylvania. To accommodate schedules, we are reversing our direction of arrival. I had wanted this to be a somewhat spontaneous road trip, but the planning is exciting for my husband, therefore he has a detailed itinerary. As of today (because such events are fluid), we will be heading to the Grand Canyon first, then taking I-40 east to Wilmington North Carolina. We will spend just over 24 hours there visiting my family.

Wilmington is a great little college town situated very close to the beach. Oregon doesn't have a beach, it's lovingly called the coast. You won't see many people sunbathing at the Oregon coast, but kite flying instead. That's because it's usually cool at the Oregon Coast, albeit beautiful. My husband and I were married in the coastal city of Newport Oregon in 2004, but the unpredictable weather there holds us back from being sentimental about the location of our marriage. The North Carolina beach is fantastic, and WARM! We are greatly looking forward to spending some time at the beach with my dad. Too bad it isn't oyster season however.

After we depart Wilmington, we are planning to head up to Pennsylvania via I-95. Originally I wanted to cut over east to take the Chesapeake Bay bridge and drive through Delaware, but my husband isn't too keen on that idea. At least with the more direct route we will have the opportunity to stop in Washington DC, as this will add to the whole Americana feel of this road trip.

Departing from Pennsylvania, we can then take the Northern Route home. We are greatly interested in seeing what South Dakota is all about in the city of Wall and Deadwood (I truly believe my husband is a cowboy at heart). From there, we will endure a long trip through the great state of Montana but I am sure it will be a gorgeous view.

So, although we really tried to not plan our route on this road trip, it doesn't appear that we can refrain from doing so. We will have some long traveling days, but will break up the route each way with a day of fun and sightseeing. Only eleven more days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment